Aleppo Battle: Hundreds Leave Syria As Evacuations Resumed:
As Evacuations resumed in eastern Aleppo, buses and ambulances were leaving the rebel areas of Syrian city said a UN official. A minimum of 350 people has left the rebel enclaves in convoys towards the western government territory.
Buses were sent to take the people from out of government controlled areas, and thousands were waiting to leave eastern Aleppo. The UN Security Council said that they have agreed to a compromise such that to allow UN monitor the operation. It is to note that Russia had rejected the French-drafted plan to send the UN officials to the eastern Aleppo earlier.
US Ambassador told the UN Samantha Power that they were expecting to vote unanimously on Monday. The initial efforts taken on Friday to evacuate the last rebel-held enclaves was a disaster. The civilians stood in the city without access to food and shelter. Medical facilities were also not available in the eastern Aleppo after the continuous bombardment. After the setbacks, buses and ambulances started moving out of the east after the nightfall.
The UN Officials emailed to Reuters news agency stating that ‘evacuations were on‘ and the first set of people left eastern Aleppo at around 23:00 local time whereas 21:00 GMT.
AFP news agency quoted that five buses carried the evacuees and arrived in rebel-held Khan al-Assal. Ahmad al-Dbis is the head of a team of doctors who coordinates the evacuations to the town said the AFP.
It is expected that the evacuees would travel from Khan al-Assal to government-held parts of Aleppo and Idlib areas. Previously, the Pro-Government forces demanded that the people must be allowed to leave the Shia villages of Foah and Kefraya in Idlib. About 1,200 were taken to the former rebel enclave, and others were moved to Foah and Kefraya, two government-held villages.
On Sunday, the army set fire to a least of five buses that were transporting the sick and injured from the villages. Reporters say that Jabhat Fatah al-Sham rebel group formerly called al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front was responsible for this Aleppo incident.
But Hezbollah, the Lebanese militant group which is fighting along with the Syrian government, said the firestorm has started during fighting between the jihadist Fatah al-Sham and another Islamist rebel group that supported the evacuations. However, the jihadist groups have not commented on the attack. The Free Syrian Army which is a more moderate rebel faction condemned this as a reckless act that endangered the lives of about 50,000 people in the eastern Aleppo.
The children’s charity UNICEF said that the people waiting over there in the eastern Aleppo includes sick and wounded children. Children had been forced to leave without their parents, and hundreds were trapped said the charity.